Pages

Wednesday 1 January 2014

LIFE GOES ON

There was a moment during midnight mass where I felt a sense of calm. I'm hoping it was a moment of divine intervention, a sign that my family had reached a turning point and life would improve in the New Year. I live in hope but in the meantime life goes on.

Before New Year arrived my doctors squeezed in one more procedure. It felt like squeezing the last bit out of the toothpaste but I had no choice but to go along with it all. It was a long day full of questions and directions and maybe it's a sign of too much for one year or of finally being pushed too far, but I  finally snapped.

 Seriously, how many times can you answer " what are we doing for you today" with a decent reply. I told my final interrogator he was giving me "the shits" today. The poor man didn't miss a beat and said "apart from that". The doctor sensing my mood, came to my defense telling his assistant that I had had enough and obviously didn't want to be here. Clever man. Thats why he gets to stick needles in me and I get very little choice about it. Cowdens doesn't give me too many choices. Once a lump is queried, it needs to be investigated.( Mental note to self- apologize to doctor re shitty comment).

And now the waiting game begins because it will be almost three weeks before I get any form of feedback. It's holiday time and my doctor is away with his young family. It's frustrating but at the same time it's ok. I am a professional waiter. I've done this before many times and I know that it's better to carry on than to sit, ponder and stew over what may be a storm in a teacup.

We thought we'd take a short holiday. We can't go far because a different set of medical rules come into play when taking the FED on holidays. So we are in Adelaide, a two and a half hour journey to an adjacent state.  Its not far but a change in scenery which we all desperately need.

We saw New Year in surrounded by thousands and thousands of people in a beach side suburb called Glenelg. Having just flown in we were tired but we soldiered on amidst the crowds, the music and the noise. Surprisingly, I got quite emotional at midnight. It actually FELT like a door had closed and another had opened, even though where to remains to be seen! I don't usually get emotional at midnight but enough is obviously enough for one year.

So life goes on. Tomorrow we will hire a car and go visit the famous Barossa valley. We will drink great wine, eat great food and enjoy South Australian hospitality and each others company. Which brings me to my New Years resolution which is that if my life has to be a never ending medical drama ,then the bits in between are going to be fun like this.

Till next time xx





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...