Pages

Monday 25 January 2016

GROWING UP AUSTRALIAN

Tomorrow is Australia Day.


When I was 9, my Dad packed the whole family up and took us to live in Australia. All I knew about Australia was that there were kangaroos and koalas. Other than that I had no idea and it all felt like a big adventure.

As a child, growing up Australian meant:
  • Living in the red dirt of Port Hedland and having the most exciting year ever.
  • Meeting my first Aboriginal people and being entranced by their stories, especially at school.
  • Living through a cyclone which destroyed Port Hedland.
  • Joining Brownies and wearing our akubra like hats.
  • Being able to cycle around the town without fear.
  • Getting the first colour TV on the street and having all the local kids knock on the door at 7am to watch Sesame street in colour.
  • Eating polony knob sandwiches in white bread.
It also meant:
  •  Moving to the city of Perth, two days drive away.
  • Starting at another new school and being made to feel dumb because I was smart. You work that out.
  • Swimming at the beach, between the flags and getting dumped.
  • Falling in love with Australian Rules footy.
  • Being able to recite the entire Australian test cricket team in order.
  • Watching Countdown on Sunday nights.
  • Being a "Sherbet" fanatic.
  • Fish and chips for a treat.
  • Peters icecream with a spoon.
  • Reading " Picnic at Hanging Rock" over and over again.
  • Vegimite rolls on fresh bread!
As I moved out of school and into university, growing up Australian meant:
  • A free education (unfortunately no more).
  • Excellent healthcare.
  • Singing to Hoodoo Gurus.
  • Kings Park, the beach, Rottnest with friends.
  • Meeting many others from Australia's diverse cultural background.
 And now I'm older:
  • Moving back to the peace and laid back lifestyle of regional western Australia.
  • Marrying an Aussie.
  • Learning more Aussie slang than I ever knew existed!
  • Eating foods I had never tried - mutton, mullet, clinkers!
  • Learning about wildflowers.
  • Giving birth to my two little Aussies.
  • Learning how to cook the best pavlova in the world...if I say so myself!
  • Travelling around this wonderful country and seeing how truly blessed we are. Australia is just stunning.
  • Learning about Anzac Day
  • Teaching some of the nicest young Aussies ever and becoming a part of their life. 
Yes folks, I've grown up Australian. A part of my heart will always be with Malta, the country we left, but I am Australian and proud of it.

Happy Australia Day everyone!
Till next time...xxx

4 comments:

  1. Happy Australia Day! I got to celebrate my second Australia Day yesterday. I must say, I absolutely love it here! Australia truly is an amazing country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you feel so welcome. It really is a fabulous country.

      Delete
  2. So many shared memories! I loved Countdown and Sherbet when I was a teenager - *sigh* and I remember when fish and chips was the only type of take-away and it was cheap (not any more!) So lovely reading a fellow Aussie's memories x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel I had a great childhood with lots of good memories.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...