Pages

Tuesday 20 February 2018

LESSONS FROM STRANGERS

I'm almost one month into my three months of not driving.

So far I'm doing ok. I'm walking a lot, getting lots of lifts from family/friends and catching way too much public transport. 

After living in Melbourne for six months, public transport over there was not a problem for me. Where I was living, there was a tram just out the front of my house that came every 5 minutes which took me straight into the city. It was an absolute breeze!

Returning home to Perth, public transport is at the opposite end of the spectrum. A lot of extra time needs to be added on because most often you'll need to catch more than one bus or train to get to a certain place. And if you ask anyone who does this commute daily, they'll describe it in a furious manner with many expletives muttered in between

To give an example, the new Optus Stadium (still wondering why they couldn't have just called it 'Perth Stadium') will only be accessible via public transport. Cars can't drop people off close by like they used to at Domain Stadium/Patterson's Stadium/Subiaco oval. And because of this change, people are furious because they'll have to take many trains/buses to get to the stadium. Or as how other people describe it, 'they need to stop making Perth transport like Melbourne transport.' 

If you've read my previous post, you would know that I'm doing my best to put the phone screen down at the moment. Well because of this, I seem to be having more conversations on public transport with the people around me.

For example, last week I was chatting to a lady on the bus who was in Perth for a psychology conference. In the 20 minutes that I was on the bus for, we got chatting about each others' family and reasons for our chosen careers. She told me about how she had taken several years off work to look after her unwell child and was now finally in a place were she could return to study. She also told me about her husband who had studied acting at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA),  but turned down a career in it to take up professional photography.  Life for her and her husband had changed dramatically over the years, but together they just kept pushing through the tough times.

Today I had a chat with a lady on the bus who has been in Perth now for 24 years. Her and her husband came here for a holiday in 1994 and loved it so much that they decided to move their whole British family over here. She told me how important it was for them to embrace new and exciting opportunities because life is too short to waste them. If she hadn't taken the risk, she wouldn't be so content about life right now as a retiree.

With my 24th birthday coming up next week, these ladies have taught me two very important lessons:
- Yes, being 'unemployed' sucks. But, tough times do pass and this tough time won't be forever. I just need to keep plodding along. Something will come up!
- I need to get out of my comfort zone more. For me, getting out of my comfort zone is like being thrown in the deep end and not knowing how to swim out of it. It's difficult, but sometimes that's the best way to learn and become a better person.

Public transport in Perth will improve as the years go on, but like my conversations with these two ladies, lessons from strangers on public transport will help improve things for the days and years to come. I'm going to make the most of the next two months of not driving and try and learn from as many more people as I can. 

Until next time....

AT xxx 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...