Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2015

PLOT TWIST


In the middle of the night while I was wide awake staring at a dark ceiling, I remembered the above saying. It may have been brought on by a conversation I had with a friend who knows first hand what life is like with Cowdens syndrome. Or it may have been brought on by reaching saturation point in the last week. Whatever the reason, at 4am this morning I suddenly realised that I was at a plot twist.

Ashton came through her procedure well but only with minimal success. Does that even make sense? It's time to realise that with her condition it's two steps forward and one step back ...all the time. It's time to accept that's how it's going to be possibly forever. And it's time to put up with the plot twist and move on.

It's now been two years since she was first diagnosed. It seems like yesterday to me but it's not. Sixteen procedures down. Who would have thought that was on the cards but that's how it's been. The doctor is now going for a three monthly check. Each time he will decide what is next to do depending on how she presents. It's the medical version of being in limbo. I can't do limbo so it's time for a plot twist.

I have to admit that in the last two years I've waited for this all to be over and for life to get back to normal. I imagined going back to work at my school, in my old job with my colleagues and friends. I've imagined visiting my daughters in Perth for catch ups and social reasons. I've imagined earning my old salary again. 

But it's time to realise that part of my life is gone for good. Life as I knew it has changed and it's time for a plot twist. My psychologist will be so happy that I've finally come up with this all by myself ( sarcasm). She's only been telling me this for ages.

My friend said I need to re-invent myself. So at 4am realising she was right, I couldn't stop thinking...as what????

Surely this is my big chance. I need a job which is flexible hours where if I need to drop what I'm doing when my health or my daughter's health requires it, I can. I don't want community service because like everyone we have bills. So I need a job which earns money.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the frustration of it all. What to do?

So, ideas please folks. Here is what I have to offer...
  • I have good oral and written skills and I have good ideas.
  •  I'm organised
  • I'm reasonably computer savvy
  •  I have a personality and good communication skills
Surely, there is something out there for me to re- invent myself as.

Ideas appreciated. 

Till next time...xxx

26 comments:

  1. Similar situation with me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a need for virtual assistants. They work for other bloggers or small businesses doing whatever is needed to keep their businesses running. Sounds like something you could handle at home. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Lydia suggested, a virtual assistant position would be great for you. One site I've worked with is Elance - they are very secure. You can create a profile on Elance - they hire from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea thank you. Am currently trying to set up an Elance profile.

      Delete
  4. You can check around with church groups and see if they can post your skills in their bulletin, you may get free-lance jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that avenue - thank you x

      Delete
  5. I had an interesting temp job recently as an 'executive assistant' for a therapist. It was very flexible and mostly involved making phone calls, answering emails and managing a facebook page. Perhaps you might like something like that? Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about becoming a Virtual Assistant - you don't even have to leave home for that. Perhaps Social Media Management for small business that don't have the time to post to FB and Twitter etc. Thanks for sharing your story with us at #WednesdaysWisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the second time someone has suggested this. Mmmm...may have to consider this one.

      Delete
  7. I hope you find some work soon. I know how hard it is to find a flexible job that pays well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any suggestions since I'm kinda in the same situation myself. I hope you find something soon though. The virtual assistant idea seemed like a good fit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the virtual assistant suggestion. It sound like it could be a good fit for you. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have any suggestions unfortunately, but I think reinventing yourself is such a brave step to take! Good luck on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have any ideas, but it sounds like others have had great ones. The most important thing is to do something you can be happy with. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think an assistant, personal organizer, online English teacher, library assistant....these are all good jobs that you seem qualifies for. Best of luck in your new adventure! It's always fun to reinvent yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Accepting our lives when it unfolds in ways we didn't plan is hard, so good for you for choosing to accept what is instead of longing for what was. I agree with others who suggested Virtual Assistant and signing up with Elance. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish all the best in your job search. I have been in that position too. I havent found a job exactly but I doing some monetizing on my blog. Cant say I can live off it though. hhmmm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck to you on this journey!
    I feel you on this. Our whole life is about to change.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopefully my comment works this time, I think a private tutor would be brilliant for you. Thanks for linking up #wednesdayswidom

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the best to you. You just never know what door will open next. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with some of the other suggestions. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing. Not sure if you have or need a degree to do this, but substitute teaching is a flexible job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sometimes changing one small thing about yourself can change an entire outcome of a situation… well done for challenging to make that step! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with Tinseltown Mom - relief teaching is very flexible and if you put your name out to several schools you might find a few days here and there - I've been told the pay rate is about $300 a day - which is more than any other flexible job would pay. Having taught for so long you should be well known enough to have plenty of calls.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...