Pages

Friday 16 February 2018

NORMAL LIFE vs HYPER REALITY

Do you spend too much time engrossed in social media? 

Do you find that you know way too much about a person that you've never met?

Is the first thing you do in the morning check in on Facebook to see what you missed overnight?

If you’ve said yes to any of the above, we share a very deep connection. 

Hi I’m Ashton and I am a social media addict. 

Yes that’s right , I am a social media addict. And after many years of denying it, here I am finally admitting it. It's become an unhealthy obsession and I've just about had enough of it. 

My addiction with social media started back at 11 years old when connecting to the internet required dial-up and hours were spent redesigning my Myspace page. Since then, the world of social media has exploded with everything ranging from Snapchat to Twitter. Over the years I’ve downloaded and used too many social media channels to count. I’ve had everything ranging from a Tumblr blog to Periscope, which is a live video streaming app.  

The other day I was reading a well known social media influencer’s Instagram page (yes another social media channel!) I’ve been following her page for a few years now and really admire how she’s made a name for herself as a business woman and influencer in society. Her recent post spoke about people making assumptions and forming uneducated opinions about her personal life and the effect it has on the people around her.

It got me thinking. Why are we so focused on perfecting a certain look and forming a certain opinion because of what we see through a social media channel? The majority of social media content I follow is full of glitz, glamour, bright lights and flashing cameras. I follow many social media pages where influencers are frequently attending lunches, are gifted products from PR agencies and are dressed in the latest designer gowns at formal events. How am I meant to be the best version of myself when I am viewing content like this? Why am I so fascinated with this content when all it is doing is making me feel inferior? Who cares if that top is from XXX and costs XXX? Who cares if you've been gifted a piece of jewellery that costs XXX? I can't afford that, so why am I feeling like I'm not living up to societies expectations because they are posting this content?   It's just not real, and I've had enough of it. 

While this 'hyper reality' life is something that we'd like to become accustomed to, we often forget about what these people have gone through to get in front of those lenses. We don't see the hours put in at the gym to perfect that particular look or the tears because they've missed out on important family celebrations/weddings. Or even the stress to get a babysitter/nanny so that their 'social status' was not missing from an event.

As you may or may not know, in the last year I worked as a social media manager.  To counter defend what I have said above, social media is a great marketing tool for businesses to use in terms of creating brand awareness and business growth. For certain businesses it works a treat and it’ll be a part of their marketing plans for years to come.  In my personal experience though, being on social media all the time and using it in a way that has an effect on your personal life is somewhat counterproductive.

There is much media commentary out there about the effect social media has in society.  However, what I'm finding that they don't say is that when you're constantly comparing yourself and making assumptions about someone on these channels, it becomes exhausting, and you may not even realise this. You are living in a world where the switch in your brain doesn’t turn off. You are living in a hyper reality world that serves no purpose than to make you feel like you aren't conforming to what is 'supposed' to be right in this world. 

One thing  that I’ve learnt as a person with Cowden's syndrome, is how important it is to 'live in the moment.' Although this sounds cliche, with a medical condition that unfortunately comes with numerous medical problems, I want to focus this year on living life to the full.  It’s time to put the phone down and embrace myself more in what life has to offer. I know that it is easier said than done, (I can hear those of you saying ‘yeah fat chance that’ll happen Ashton’) but it’s something I just really want to do.

If you have any tips on breaking this hyper reality cycle I'm in,  please let me know! 

Until next time….


AT xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...