Pages

Monday 19 March 2018

THAT 'NICE' FEELING


Last week I went out for for dinner with a bunch of girlfriends. For 30 minutes, we discussed in depth what Netflix shows we've been watching, went into shock if we hadn't seen a particular show and exchanged suggestions on new shows to watch.  I now have a list as long as my arm for what I need to watch over the next month or so.

I'm not going to lie, I've been a bit down in the dumps lately. What's kept me going? Along with the support of friends and family, I've been watching Will and Grace. I never watched the show when it was on in the early 2000's. But now, I'm glad that I am watching it and have got into the reboot very quickly. The show is just 'nice.' It's nice in a way that I can have a laugh, and escape the reality of the real world. I now frequently imitate Karen by calling everyone 'honey' and on a daily basis embrace my Grace Adler quirkiness (for me though, this is not hard!)

I also did this with Gilmore Girls when I was finishing my degree (in addition to the copious amount of red wine I drank!)  I will be forever grateful to my spirit animal Lorelei Gilmore for letting me escape from the stress and harsh reality of forcing myself to finish my degree. It was a great help and a 'nice' show to watch.

We currently live in a world were a red headed clown is running one of the biggest countries in the world where a terrorist attack could occur anywhere at anytime. We cannot predict what will happen in the future, and we are forever furious at leaders who are corrupt or people who treat others with disrespect. So we latch onto something that is joyful and provides us with comfort.

I even feel this watching the football (the Aussie rules type.) For 3 hours, I can sit in front of a TV or be at the ground on match day yelling for my beloved West Coast Eagles. Being attached to the 'West Coast Eagles' community gives me a sense of identity and something that I belong to. I met one of my closest friends through our love of football and she has contributed to giving my life a 'nice feeling.' That I will forever be grateful for.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you all that we should all be finding something 'nice' on our TV screens that gives us a distinction from reality. But for me, it's something that keeps me sane. I can forget about my Cowden's Syndrome and my doctors appointments. I can forget that I still need to look for a job. I can forget that I'm down in the dumps.

I know there are other 'nice' things out there that could give me comfort. Mum's recently been trying to get me into crocheting, but I get frustrated with it and give up in two seconds. I want to learn how to use my SLR camera properly, but I struggle to concentrate and get too tired. My sister has tried to teach me how to do my make up. She has explained things to me so many times, but do you think I remember? No bloody way.

So for me, something that is easy and 'nice' for me right now is TV. It's simple. And at the moment that's what I need. After many years of not accepting that I have Cowden's Syndrome, I just need to have something 'nice and easy' in my life. And one day when I'm well rested and back to my usual self, I'll find that motivation to do something other than 'be attached to nice TV shows.'

For now, I sit back with my coffee, pop on the latest episode of the Will and Grace reboot and carry on with my day.

Until next time...

AT xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...