Pages

Tuesday 26 August 2014

PROGRESS REPORT

One week down and she's still on the ward. She's looking well but dying to get out of there. Unfortunately at the moment ( according to her), Dr HS is being a real meanie and keeping her locked up . Well not quite. 

"Till your levels settle" is the official answer. 
" Not happy Tim " she says. 

Her excellent rapport with her doctor reminds me of how important the doctor/ patient relationship is. Doctors who make time to have a chat and a laugh with their patients treat them with the respect they deserve. But beware the quick witted patient!

Dr: what are you doing?
FED: uni assignment.                    
Dr: that's a very geeky thing to do.
FED: that's rich from a neurologist.

Oh dear!

The ward as usual is a hive of activity. Interesting characters come and go. A nearby patient is asked if he takes drugs. His reply - " just a bit of marijuana on the weekends and I've tried ice but otherwise no". At 4am he escapes from the unit for a cigarette ( another drug he doesn't take). The nursing staff are not impressed.

Up in the cafeteria I meet a woman treading a similar path to mine, except in her case it's her husband not her daughter. We share stories and it feels good to talk to someone who gets it. Family and friends try their best but only someone wearing the same shoes gets it.

The husband returns to our home town to fit in three days of work before returning on the weekend. Anxiety builds in me when he leaves. Once upon a time I would have rubbed my hands in glee. Now I become an anxious, breathless mess at the thought of coping alone. This is yet another side effect of a body which has been pushed to extremes physically, mentally and emotionally. To make matters worse the vertigo is back. Not as bad as before but floors are definitely moving. 

My youngest daughter is missing in action. She has been consumed by her acting course and life in general. I hope the acting monster spits her out occasionally so I can have a hug and she can clean her room.

It's late.
I'm tired.
I'm also sad.

Although I am a strong person there are days when enough is enough. Today is one such day. I don't want life to be all about medical drama. I don't want this to be our " normal". Yet however much I hope and pray it's all we seem to get.

Tomorrow might be different.

Good night xxx...


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...