Pages

Saturday 13 September 2014

DONT ASK DR GOOGLE

This blog is dedicated to one of my relatives who has been banned from the internet by her doctor. You KNOW who you are!!
_______________________________________________________________

If you read my blog " Desperately seeking Heather" you will remember that I have been suffering from bouts of the " almost faints". I have to admit that they are not as bad as they were three weeks ago, but are still somewhat of a problem, especially if I need to stand and talk to someone for any length of time.

I think I've explained before that people with Cowden's can have a myriad of symptoms. Anything and everything is tested. It is a stressful condition and one that keeps you on your toes constantly. Which brings me of course to an article in my local paper and a story to tell.



Fainting and almost fainting need to be investigated so despite my inner voice warning me to not go there, I put " fainting causes" into the Google search engine and was instantly overwhelmed by a number of possibilities. Here we go again!

Article number 1 revealed the following:

In many cases, the cause of a fainting spell is unclear, but fainting can be triggered by a number of factors, including: fear,emotional trauma, severe pain, a sudden drop in blood pressure, low sugar due to DIABETES or from going too long without eating, hyperventilation (rapid, shallow breathing), dehydration.
     
Now I've highlighted THAT word because that's all my brain picked out!
"Oh my God I have diabetes!"
There is diabetes on both sides of my family so THIS WAS IT!
My worst fears had come through. I was diabetic.

But wait there's more! Yes it gets worse. Wanting confirmation of my self diagnosis, I checked another website and found this gem:

It can also be a symptom of a serious heart condition that needs to be be carefully diagnosed with cardiac tests.

 NOT ONLY DO I HAVE DIABETES BUT I ALSO HAVE A HEART CONDITION! This is terrible and it must be true because I also have relatives who have had heart conditions!

Inner voice - ( Stop it!)
Me - ignores inner voice.

Do you think I stopped there? You're right...no!!! Apparently (according to a third article), I could have a stroke coming or narcolepsy or Parkinson's.

This is worse than I thought!
Suddenly the pins and needles I had two weeks ago made sense. Not only did I have diabetes and heart disease, a stroke was obviously imminent and possibly Parkinson's. I didn't think I had narcolepsy basically because I had no idea what it was at the time.

( Lucky I didn't check because narcolepsy is extreme sleepiness and had I known that at the time I would have had that too.)

On returning to my home town I went to see Dr Heather. She listened carefully as I told her I was diabetic and had heart disease. She picked up my blood results from Perth, perused them and said:

"You're not diabetic".
"Are you sure?"
"Yes".
Phew!!!

She listened to my heart and looked a bit confused. " You seem to have funny heart beats though. We will have to test that!

World caves in.
My second worst fears are about to become a reality.
My ticker is giving out on me!

Off I went for my test, to find out that my heart was in perfect condition. A little bit of a leak was causing the odd sound. 
" You are a bit leaky".
" I don't want to be leaky."
" Everyone is a bit leaky".

So, $295 later I am still no closer to an answer. I am also very frazzled because I ( an intelligent, well educated woman) chose to go first to Dr Google rather than leave it for the real doctors to work out. I am starting to think that this is all about low blood pressure, but why would I have low blood pressure???
  1. (leans across to ask Google).

    NO!!! NO MORE!!!
    NO MORE DR GOOGLE FOR ME.FROM HEREIN I HEREBY PROMISE NEVER TO GOOGLE MY SYMPTOMS AGAIN!!!

    I will let you all know how I go!

    Till next time...xxx

    P.S BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PARKINSON'S?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to you, my coworkers think i'm crazy. Loved your humor ... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooh boy! Do I understand this post LOUD AND CLEAR. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trying so hard to break this habit Heather...its so hard!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...