Pages

Thursday 30 October 2014

KANGAROOS AND DOCTOR STUFF

I'm not the best with house guests but I have to admit I have really enjoyed the last two days with my cousin in Geraldton. We've done some fun things, from cuddling a baby kangaroo called Lucy to cooking a Maltese rabbit dish and from visiting the spectacular Sydney memorial to the not so spectacular propeller on the foreshore ( what were they thinking)!


Today was road trip day back to Perth with a side trip to the Cervantes Pinnacles. This is always worth a visit if you're travelling in Western Australia, especially if you're into " interestingly shaped" lumps of limestone ( see photo). Only disappointment of today's  trip was the lack of any animals whatsoever. No kangaroos. No emus. No wallabies. No nothing!!!


Tomorrow we get back on the medical roundabout. It's time for the FED's ( favourite eldest daughters) checkup with Dr Hot Stuff and mine with Dr Plastic Surgeon, who is going to be annoyed with me because I've removed all my itchy, unsightly dressings. Oh well!!

Those of you who are new to my blog may have to read some earlier blogs to familiarise yourself with my daughters story. Let's just say that at the age of 20, she has had 13 brain surgeries including two craniotomies. She is a real tough cookie, coping with what most would have found impossible, with a strong sense of humour. The nickname of Hot Stuff is one which evolved this year. It started with- Hot Stuff - he thinks he's hot stuff ( they didn't get on at first)...then...Hot Stuff - he's very good looking ( she posted a photo with him and everyone suddenly became ill)...to...Hot Stuff - he saved my life ( friends for life, he is hot stuff).

I wonder if he suspects he has this whole alter ego.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Next day having just dropped the FED at uni I head off in search of a caffeine fix. There is no bad
news from her doctors appointment, but there is news. Her last MRI was really good and she is doing really well ( hurrah). However, this doesn't mean she doesn't need more surgery ( sad face). She has a second fistula which so far has been non symptomatic and the doctors would like to attempt to remove it, rather than risk a disaster like the first aggressive fistula developing.

So, surgery number 14 will be next week. Here we go again.

 We always knew it was on the cards but it still is gut wrenching to know that she has to go through the process again. By the way, Dr Hot Stuff informs us he is going to be a daddy for the third time. He is going to have three kids under the age of 5. We may have to change his nickname to Dumb Stuff.

My checkup is non eventful and I find out that everything removed last week is benign. I get a gentle ticking off about the dressings I removed as he deftly reapplies new ones. Nothing changes. I have been arguing with him about dressings for 5 years!

At the counter I meet a woman who strikes me as being quite sad. She tells me she has had 15 operations in 14 years and sighs about how bad her lot is in life. I find her rather draining and hope like hell I don't make people around me feel like that.

I am still thinking about this lady while driving away. For some reason her demeanour makes me feel claustrophobic. At the traffic lights I decide to lower my car window for some air . At exactly the same time, another car passes very close to mine. The man close to me leans out of the window and emits the biggest sneeze ever. Water sprays my window, milliseconds before it hits the bottom. Saved by the window.

You see... life always has some positives!

Till next time...xxx







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...