Pages

Thursday 21 May 2015

SWEET AS SUGAR

Every woman in my husband's side of the family is a good cook. So gatherings such as the one we had for Mother's Day are a gastronomic delight and it's so easy to lose yourself in sugary delights if you are not careful.

The husband is in heaven on these occasions. Born with a seemingly sweet tooth, he dives head first into the table of goodies only to surface eventually with a glazed look of pleasure on his sugary, comatose face.

But even I (his wife of 24 years) was astounded by his achievements on Mothers Day. Obviously celebrating his role as a mother ( or maybe paying homage to his mother and the mother of his children) he took longer than usual to re-enter the stratosphere. He was a guts.

Having been lately bombarded about the dangers of sugar ( wasn't it fat last week?), my concern for his love of all things sweet, the hidden sugar in our food and the associated risk of sugar diabetes was at an all time high. Let's face it, neither of us is getting any younger. I decided an intervention was needed...URGENTLY.

Now don't get me wrong. I like the odd bit of dark chocolate, the odd cupcake, the occasional tim tam or two. But I'm nowhere in my husband's league. He eats dessert every day. He can sniff out lollies and chocolate even when well hidden. If cake is frozen, not a problem, he'll eat it frozen and don't buy cooking chocolate for future projects before going away, because it sure as hell won't be there when you get home. He is a sugar addict, who will even go on late night " trips" to satisfy an icecream craving.

Yes...definitely intervention time. In fact long overdue.

He looked horrified when I told him that there was over a teaspoon of sugar in each muesli bar. Add that to three pieces of fruit and anything else his human shovel mouth devoured and I think I made my point. I threw out the remaining Anzac biscuits and hid the remaining chocolate slice from mother's day at the very back of the freezer. In retrospect I should have thrown that out too. But it cost me so much money, I just couldn't throw it out and just hoped he wouldn't find it!

Now to keep my part of the deal.

A week later I flew to Perth leaving him to his own devices. My mother, ever the cynic said he would cheat at every opportunity without me around. I could only shrug my shoulders and say "probably", because she is more than likely right. But, he's a grown man and I'm his wife not his mother and he could take responsibility or get diabetes. Choice was his. I had my own "lack of sugar" problems to deal with.

Why is it when you deny yourself anything, it suddenly seems so appealing? Biscuits develop a voice ( eat me, eat me). Lollies cry out " buy me, buy me" and icecream...do not mention Ben and Jerry's and Perth and available in one sentence PLEASE.

OF COURSE on the plane to Perth my coffee came with a chocolate fudge cookie. In all the years I've caught that damn flight there have never been chocolate fudge cookies. It's a conspiracy I tell you. I said "no thank you" to the air hostess and she looked perplexed. It's as if she was thinking " but all fat people like chocolate fudge cookies". She asked me if I wanted it for later. I felt quite smug saying "no thank you"again and choosing instead the dry spinach and ricotta something that notaste.com specially made for this flight.

The next few days were easy. I said no to cake with a girlfriend. I made her order hers and watched her eat it, so I could develop my inner strength.She thought I was nuts. I said no to Greek biscuits at my sister's house ( that was hard cos I love them) and I watched my kids eat chocolate, without indulging in it myself. I did however have one small fail. My sisters mother in law made white chocolate slice and cut such a small piece for me it really didn't count. In fact they were so small, I ate two. Besides she has come all the way from the UK. It would have been rude to say no. OK, excuses, excuses -fail!

The following day some germ riddled person passed me their bugs and I was struck down with gastro. Not only was sugar not interesting, neither was any food whatsoever. As I recovered I ate plain food like bananas and toasted sandwiches but I craved lemonade.Gastro needs lemonade for
Lemonade and lemons = no connection
recovery. We all know that...right? So, as I type this I admit to failure number 2. I am sipping lemonade and I'm horrified to find that there are 61g of sugar in my bottle of lemonade. Half way through the bottle a headache strikes. Wow that's a powerful message. I haven't had any headaches since cutting back on sugar. My skin has been blemish free and I've been sleeping like a baby.

So, as I sit in the airport waiting to fly home, I hang my head in shame at my second lack of personal strength but then raise it in pride as I throw a half drunk bottle of lemonade in the bin. I feel like yelling, " did you all see what I just did! I threw the sugar drink out. It doesn't even taste good."

The flight home is another conspiracy this time involving choc chip cookies. Ok God you can stop testing me. Recovered from my lemonade slip up I don't even react or touch the pack. Even when they asked nicely for me to open them I pretended not to hear. Who needs those little round pieces of chocolatey goodness in their lives?

Home and time to compare notes. Mum was right. He did well for a couple of days and then discovered the left over chocolate slice. I knew I should have chucked it in the bin. It just seemed such a waste of money. He did have one victory though. He realised that he felt a lot better the first week than the second, so as of today we are back on deck

Just before signing off here are excellent articles on sugar you may wish to read. It makes perfect sense when written like this. Off to put the remaining chocolate slice in the bin

Till next time...xxx

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-17122/the-7-deadly-truths-of-sugar.html


http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/motivate-me/68691969/21-reasons-to-eat-less-sugar-that-have-nothing-to-do-with-losing-weight

14 comments:

  1. Great post, I too am trying to cut down on the sugars etc. I sat and ate a salad at a cafe the other day while my hubby and daughter tucked into chocolate cake, that was tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such inner strength Ali. Well done. We will encourage each other.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your multiple victories over sugar! IT IS SO HARD TO SAY NO. But good for you for even being able to throw it away. Out of curiosity, what is a tim tam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam

      Pure chocolate heaven

      Delete
  3. Great post, it is crazy how quickly sugar adds up, even in 'healthy' snacks! This is a great reminder to be more aware of what we are putting in our bodies and helps to hold us accountable for our own choices! Thanks for joining the Link-It To Me Link Up Party this week! I hope you will party with us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If i can find you again! I need to get more organised with link parties. I seem to be fishing in the dark!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, this is so freaky - your husband sounds exactly like my husband, he buys a dessert for after dinner EVERY DAY! Then last week he had the flu and so was off sweets. He then weighed himself on Wednesday was was like, oh my god I lost half a stone. I said, duh, you've not eaten any desserts for the last few days - see how it's good to stop! So I suggested to save the dessert treats for once a week. Let's see how it goes! #weekendbloghop Sabrina xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rest my case. Last night we had our one treat. i bought one small chocolate. he bought a giant block and argued with me in the shop when i tried to persuade him to buy the small one. Oh well...

      Delete
  5. Sugar is everywhere! We were horrified when we looked at the back of the cereal packets that our two love. It's really difficult to give up though. I read that sugar is as addictive as cocaine. Our brains are wired to seek out pleasure - and that's sugar alright. All we can do, I guess is take it day by day #weekendbloghop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a craving yesterday so I made an apple cake full of fresh fruit. I know it's still sugar but home made has got to be better, right? Problem is I can't keep away from it now. It really is addictive.

      Delete
  6. You are so right when you say that as soon as you decide you aren't going to have sugar you get cravings and its everywhere! Great post and thank you for sharing at #AnythingGoes link up. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've certainly given me a lot to think about, Suzi. I try to tell me son about all the sugar in a glass of soda and how they have to put something in it so you don't throw up because there is so much sugar. I think it's a conspiracy to keep us all fat. Thanks so much for sharing at #AnythingGoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzi, I'm here from Monday Madness. I just went sugar free 6 weeks ago. So yay for y'all!
    But, I'm discovering the sugar in pure fruit juice and in fruit is sugar too. Seriously?? :(
    notaste.com made me laugh out loud!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...