Pages

Sunday 5 July 2015

LOSS

The last few weeks have been all about the word " loss".

Loss of children when they went back to the city.
Loss of dignity while on telephone to medical agencies (see previous post).
Loss of patience...subsequently regained.
Loss of friendship...ball is in someone's court.
Loss of time (aka a birthday).
And then there was the loss of someone I never knew personally, but a loss which has shaken Australia to its core - the murder of a well known football coach by his son, while on the drug Ice.

I will never ever understand what people gain from taking drugs which destroy on so many levels. Its bad enough taking drugs to keep you well, as I have to do, but to take non prescription medication knowing whats likely in it for you, I just don't get.

I don't get a lot of things.

Last night a friend and I went to see a concert by the runner up of the last Australian X Factor. This is a man whose voice is beyond fabulous and whose guitar skills are beyond fantastic. It was a concert we had both looked forward to for a long time.

The concert was a casual affair in a local pub and was mainly attended by people of my age group (40+). I know a pub concert involves drinking, but the lengths that some go to get totally and utterly smashed had me shaking my head. Really! Still! You're in your 40's and you're still drinking to obliterate yourself. Surely you've grown out of that phase by now? Obviously not.

I can forgive the few 18 year olds who are trying to grow up, even the annoying as hell one who I was sure was about to share his regurgitated drink on me soon. I can tolerate the girl of roughly the same age wearing a dress that no doubt doubles as a hanky (does she not have a mother?). But as I stood watching an obviously drugged and drunk woman of my age, sway uncontrollably all over the floor I felt nothing but pity for her. And the sad thing is she was not the only one.

Drugs and alcohol are killing our country.

We met a lovely woman last night who told us she had three children on ice. What an absolute tragedy, especially so because this is no longer unique. Its in the media continuously . A female friend who is a medical doctor told me recently that the vast majority of her drug patients are in the middle age bracket. That was obvious by the behaviour of some last night. It was so, so sad.

My younger daughter works at a major function centre in the city as an usher. She has often said that the "oldies" have worse behaviour than younger concert goers. As I picked her up from work one night, the evidence to back this up was obvious, with grown women my age vomiting in the bushes and semi - conscious lying on the footpath.

I seriously don't care if anyone thinks I am an old "fuddy duddy" because of what I am writing. I had 3 drinks last night - one non-alcoholic with dinner, one alcoholic during the concert and a water to re-hydrate - and I had a fabulous time. News flash -you can have a good time without copious amounts of alcohol!

I used to think that adults set the example for the young. I am wondering whether for my generation this is actually true. A lot of young people go through a drinking phase, but surely there comes a time when you need to grow the hell up. Its time that actually happened for some people...don't you think?

Rant over.

Till next time...xxx




9 comments:

  1. Substance abuse is truly tragic. As an American (where the drinking age is 21) living in Denmark (where the drinking age is 16) I have a very difficult time seeing kids drunk out of their minds. Stores rarely check IDs and parents' attitudes (about everything) are quite lax, so it's not uncommon to see 13 or 14 year olds staggering around the city drunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I suppose the parents are nowhere to be found?

      Delete
  2. I think current D&A education in schools has helped to shift the attitudes of the younger generation. In my generation (I'm in my forties) we didn't have this at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so now we have a generation of disempowered adults. Its a catastrophe.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately it doesn't look like getting any better. ICE is such a dangerous drug and all the education doesn't seem to get through. Thank you for sharing this with us at #WednesdaysWisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Till people stop thinking that " it will never happen to me or my family" and take action to prevent, I agree it won't get any better.

      Delete
  4. Love your honest view of substance abuse...keep up with honest posts!

    Ursula aka Blueridge Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so shocking to hear about the murder of the Adelaide coach. Ice is destroying lives in capital cities, in remote areas, in rich suburbs and in poorer suburbs...I hope something more can be done to educate the public about this deadly and toxic drug.

    Thanks so much for sharing your post at the #sundaysdownunder link up. You are welcome to share a rant anytime!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sad when grown men and women who should know better act like they're teenagers and lose control like that. I agree with you! Thanks for sharing your thoughts at the Manic Mondays blog hop!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...