Pages

Sunday 24 July 2016

IF MY COUCH COULD TALK

Yes, she is home!
Most of the space in our family room is taken up by our couch. It's burgundy coloured, big and comfy, the sort of couch you can get lost in and I love it. I'll take a new oven, fridge or washing machine any time. But my couch is special and I will hold onto it for as long as is possible. As I flopped down onto it yesterday I couldn't help but think that its time was however coming. It looks faded and worn and in some places where the upholstery is wrecked, it is a tad dangerous to sit in. Oh dear!

How does one get rid of a piece of furniture that has been such a crucial part of family life? If my couch could talk it would have lots to tell about family get togethers with cups of tea, home made scones and chocolate cake. It would tell you how everyone took their tea and who was most likely to spill their tea on the couch. It would also recount the heated discussions as we sat watching the latest TV shows we were all engrossed in, and how the husband who claimed never to watch " such rubbish", would surprisingly still know the ins and outs of the shows. And while we are at it, let's talk about the naps , long and short. The couch would tell you who slept there while sick and what they suffered from. It undoubtedly would remember a semi conscious child lying on it and a neighbour frantically trying to rouse her. And then there are my many nights suffering with insomnia, finally ending with some sleep on the couch.

Reading on the couch

Cuddles on the couch!
Yes, the couch is the keeper of the memories and the keeper of the secrets. It remembers the time Ciara tied the dog's leash to the side table, while she sat on the couch. When she moved, her devoted dog moved too, taking with him the table AND the aquarium on it. It also remembers the time homework was done on it while watching TV, and while Mum was out. Naughty kids, but the couch never told. It also never told about the head stands on it against the wall above. I wondered for years where the black marks came from!

The couch has been sat in, sat on and sat near. Its seated Grandad and his newspapers, kids watching Netflix, the neighbours over for a glass of wine and the friend who laughed because he couldn't get
out of it. It has been spilt on, vomited on and jumped on. I tried to be angry at the last one but I couldn't stop laughing. They were too cute! The couch also has magical properties. Don't believe me? Try looking for a missing tv remote. Look once. Look twice. Once you're convinced it's not hiding down the side of a cushion, someone else will find it there. If that's not magic, I don't know what is!

Yes, the couch has been a treasured part of our family, but as I said its time is unfortunately looming. Now to win the lottery to replace it!

Have a great week.

Till next time...xxx




6 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Love the couch, it is an integral part of family life! Couldn't do without one but yes they cost a fortune to replace! #mg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the post. That couch showed me glimpses of warm happy family times as well as the ups and downs we all go through. My favourite bit was the dog dragging the table. And with the aquarium too. Some sight that would have been :-). Thanks for dropping by at obsessive mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the current cost of a new one, I'm thinking replacement is going to be somewhat prolonged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading about the memories your couch has given you and your family It certainly would be hard to give it up. Thanks for sharing with us at #OvertheMoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love our couch too! I have especially enjoyed snuggling on it after all nighters with my toddler lately. Thanks for joining the Family Joy Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh poor couch it's been through and sen so much you can never sell it! OK you can. It is amazing isn't it to think how much our couch could tell the world about us if it could speak. We recently sold on our couch that we brought before we were married, it was the couch I nursed my babies on, it was a little santo se it go, but i ahed it's style and colour so it had to go even though it was in amazing condition. #mg

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...