Pages

Wednesday 3 September 2014

TAKE NO ONE FOR GRANTED

Today I was lucky enough to have breakfast while gazing out over the beautiful Indian Ocean. I find water so calming and this morning was no different. It even got the creative juices flowing.  Here is a story that's been brewing in my head for a while. Any resemblance to any person you may know is purely fictional! 




There was once an old woman who earned her living teaching young children. She was good at her job and worked very long hours arriving early and leaving late. The children really liked the old woman and she them. It seemed to be a perfect situation until one day, without warning, the teacher did not turn up for school.

The children were astonished when she wasn't in their classroom.
The other teachers were amazed when she wasn't at her desk.
The old woman had never missed a day of school before.
This was a first!

The  wise old man who ran the school was worried and decided to pay the old woman a visit.

He rang the door bell but there was no answer. 
Her knocked on the door, but there was no answer.
He even sent the old woman an e- mail, but got no answer.
This surprised him most because the old woman was efficient and always replied to his e-mails immediately.

The wise old man returned to school quite perplexed. 
He told the children that the old woman had simply disappeared.
" But", said the children. " Who will...
Teach us what we need to know,
Talk to us about our problems, 
Listen to us when we have something to say,
Laugh with us and
work out our problems with us?"

He told the other teachers that he had no idea where their colleague was. They said
"Who will teach us the old ways,
Talk to us about what we do in our classrooms,
Listen to us when we have a bad day, 
Laugh with us when we mess up
and work out how we can do a better job?"

The wise old man had no answer.

Days passed and the old woman did not return.
Every so often a child mentioned her name.
Every so often a colleague mentioned her name.
Very soon nobody mentioned her name.

Then one day without warning she returned. 
The wise old man did not recognise her at first because she looked younger.
He asked why she had left and this is what she said:

"I taught staff and students, but left no time for myself to learn.
I talked to everyone, but not to my husband and children.
I listened when others needed an ear, but found nobody willing to listen to me when I needed the same.
And I forgot how to laugh because this made me sad.

But it's ok ... cos I've worked it out. 
I quit.

I quit working long hours, seven days a week.
I quit replying immediately to e-mails and messages.
I quit putting so much effort into other people and I started putting effort into myself and my own children.
I quit putting myself last and started to put me first.

And with that she laughed heartily, shook his hand and walked out the door. And she never, ever looked back.












2 comments:

  1. Touching story. Take no one for granted indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SuperLux. It has a lot of meaning for me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...