Pages

Saturday 6 September 2014

A FISHY SITUATION

It's pouring with rain outside and I'm sitting on the couch with the husband, watching a really boring fishing programme on TV. The FED ( favourite eldest daughter) is busy doing uni work and the FYD (favourite youngest daughter) is off rehearsing her latest production. It is a quiet Saturday afternoon and for once we are a normal family doing normal things!

Earlier this week however was anything but normal. You may remember that the husband and I booked into a local hotel overlooking the beach, to celebrate his birthday and have a bit of together time. Remember- festival, Bunnings etc??? Well, no sooner had I posted that blog everything changed.

The husband had a very busy birthday. Breakfast was with the girls at a beachside cafe. Afternoon tea was with my family at a different beachside cafe. It was a fun day, give or take a Bunnings visit which still beggars belief.

After a full couple of days celebrating we were both quite tired in the evening. So, because of this (plus I also wanted to watch X Factor), we decided to order room service. The husband has never ordered room service so this was a very special treat. He ordered fish and chips followed by cheesecake. I ordered nachos. We opened a bottle of birthday red and it was all just lovely!

Till about 2am when I suddenly became aware that all was not well adjacent to me. Groans and moans continued for a while , until suddenly the bathroom was needed urgently and he was violently ill. This continued for a few hours. I have never ever seen my husband so ill. It had to be food poisoning! It had to be the fish or the cheesecake, because I was fine.

Yet again illness was ruining something special.

I rang reception and told them what the situation was and asked them to call a doctor. They were horrified when I told them I believed he had food poisoning. 

The doctor wasn't much use. He gave the husband a needle and said that he couldn't be sure if it was food poisoning or a virus. Very diplomatic for a doctor who makes a living seeing sick patients in hotels! I hardly think he'd jeopardise that little junket do you? He then billed me an exorbitant amount of money (which had to be paid immediately) and off he trotted...leaving me with a husband " sick as a dog".

My husband was so sick there was no way I was going to be able to move him. Therefore,I had to extend our stay. Another two days...more cost. Surely the hotel would be generous? Surely...not. We got a lowered rate, but not free accomodation. Remember this situation was their fault!

The chef was apparently mortified.
The chef was checking the fish.
I hope he gave his staff a lecture about food hygiene while he spoke to the fish. 

The quickness at which the vomiting began usually indicates something like poor hand washing. I bet I'm right! If only I could prove it.

Over the two days the manager tried to make amends.

Can we give you dinner for two?
Er... You've got to be joking!
Is there anything we can do for you?
Give me free accomodation.
We can't do that.
Then there's nothing you can do.
We would like to give you a key to the club room.
( interest)...what's that?
You get free drinks, free canapés, free breakfast.
Well that's perfect! ( no good for husband but hey if you're offering free drinks, who am I to say no?)

And that's where I posted my last blog from, at the top of the hotel overlooking the ocean on a perfect sunny day. I could have sworn I saw a dolphin, but the husband ( yes he came too) said I'd had one too many.

We checked out and I checked the bill...$91 room service!
" You've  got to be joking me! That's a bit extravagant for salmonella!"The room service charge was removed and we left with a story to tell and a bit of a bad taste in our mouths. Oh well!

If anyone could tell me why drama and illness follows me and my family, I would love to know. Situation out of control!


Till next time...xxx











4 comments:

  1. My sympathies go with you. I had a husband with severe food poisoning at the start of June and was only just feeling back to normal strength again in time for us to go on holiday last week.
    They can suffer immensely but authorities do not seem to take it as seriously as they should. His episode was just before we were supposed to go on holiday so it had to be delayed - yes some of us just sometimes feel like these kinds of things keep jumping out on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I wanted was some together as life had been hard lately. Not to be!! I got another disaster instead. Oh well.
      Incidentally he is still feeling unwell a week later. It's really knocked him.

      Delete
  2. That's terrible. Hope you guys are okay now. And I hope you get the justice for what happened to you. They should have given you free accomodation in my opinion since it was their fault that you have to stay longer than planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you 100% but after a while you just give up arguing and take what you can get which was not that much really.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...