Pages

Thursday 18 December 2014

'TWAS THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS...

I am such a stress head. Even in beautiful Bali I had to remind myself that I was on holiday and I had to tell my brain to relax and not worry about anything . I'd like to say I'm out of practice at relaxing, but that would be a load of polly-waffle because I've always been an anxious sort, a worrier...and sometimes I feel I'm just getting worse.

And no matter how hard I try to not let it worsen , the anxiety breaks through. In the last few days the incident in Sydney has left a lot of people ( not just me), with worry lines etched into their faces. How is it possible that this horrible event unfolded in our beautiful country? Is this an indication of the life our children and grandchildren will forever be exposed to?

It just seems lately that nowhere is really a " worry free zone". Our beautiful town appears to have had an increase in break ins and theft. Whether this is actually an increase, or it's just more known about due to social media, is hard to know. But the worry seed is sown regardless . And of course being Australian, we refuse to remain housebound and town bound because of the actions of a few. We go about our day, we secure our home, we exercise caution and we worry...or at least I do.

Currently the husband and I are in the car returning home. MORE WORRY - daughter number 2 is ahead of us driving herself and her boyfriend. I'm not worried about her driving ability, she is a good driver. I'm worried about the idiots on the road. Even as I type this, a man flies past us in an area where he is not allowed to overtake. He has kids in the car and is doing about 15-20 km over the speed limit. OMG! Why do people think accidents will never happen to them? How much more tragedy do we need to experience?

Christmas is one week away and this year in an ongoing effort to minimise my stress I have once again cut corners. This year I am refusing to buy any women's magazines which are full of pictures of decorated tables, Christmas recipes and perfectly wrapped gifts. After many years of doing this, I know how to organise the sort of Christmas my family enjoy and I don't need the magazines making me feel I'm not doing it right. May sound really silly for some, but Christmas is a pressure pot for many and those magazines are in my pressure pot.

Add to that present shopping. I thought I had it stitched up this year thanks to Internet shopping. Now I find that some internet purchases may not arrive in time for Christmas. Scream, yell, shout. Now what? Do I need to start in July to get stuff mailed on time? Ridiculous!

As we left Bali this week, the Balinese were getting ready to celebrate Galungan. This is a festival celebrating good over bad, so in keeping with this I want to share some good things that I've heard about this week which have really touched me.

* At the FEDs work, a lady stepped forward to pay a bill for a mother desperately trying to deal with shopping and children.
* In America a stranger has paid off all the christmas lay-bys in a store.
* The #illridewithyou has trended all around the world. Please look it up if you don't know what this is - australian mateship at its best.
* A video on YouTube (link below) showing kids in a third world country opening the Christmas shoebox presents which a lot of people world wide ( myself as well at times) have contributed to.


Yes I'm anxious and yes I worry...and sometimes these issues take on a life of their own and I feel worse. But amidst all this there are moments when you realise that there are good and happy things too, if our eyes are wide open and we are receptive.

Enjoy the lead up to Christmas

Till next time...xxx

8 comments:

  1. I am more of an observer then a worrier--if I had children I would probably be frantic about now--First there was 911 (I live close to NYC and actually worked down right behind one of those towers back then-as luck would have it that was not my day for being there)--now we have what happened in Australia and I truly can't believe what just happened in Pakistan. I won't go into anything else I've seen or heard--I also know there is a lot of good that goes on. I do try to keep thinking about the good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I uploaded this, I heard about Pakistan. Unbelievable! The only way is to think of two good things for every bad. Otherwise the bad wins and we don't want that. I hope you have a happy Christmas and WE ALL have a peaceful, healthy New a Year x

      Delete
  2. So important to remember the positives at a time like this isn't it? I am turning into a stress-head too and have vowed not to even at glance at Pinterest until well into January! I wrote a similar post last week. You have my every sympathy. I hope the anxiety passes and that your presents arrive on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Present arrived - :)
      Christmas cooking done at local bakery.
      Plans to be better organised for next year underway!

      Delete
  3. So many bad news happening. To mothers, fathers and children =(

    Like you I am a worry wart. And I most worry when I dont worry! Thanks for that list. Helps to calm me as well.

    #brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear and much needed especially in a world that seems to be going mad!

      Delete
  4. It's really kind of sad that we've been reduced to constantly turning our necks and looking over our shoulder in order to stay alive. At least, that's how it looks like. There are clusters of current everyday routine, plus the media hype of the 24-hour news circuit. We couldn't seem to unshackle ourselves from it, though we should. We should also realize that thefts and break-ins are a thing, in ways that is well outside news media and popular consensus, and be really vigilant about it. Anyway, thanks for sharing that! I wish you all the best!

    Stephanie Waters @ Chastaine Law

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear S. so nice to stumble across your blog - yet I was shocked re: news about your health! Mi dispiace sinceramente. Dove sei ora? Hai un contatto email piu'privato? Io abito sempre vicino a Fremantle e non ricordo di averti detto fai come ti dico ma non come faccio...in che contesto?
    Un grande abbraccio
    MC dalla tua vecchia scuola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...