Pages

Sunday 30 August 2015

CUT ME UP

Increasingly in the last few years, more and more of my procedures have been done under local anaesthetic. It makes for a simpler day. You go into hospital fifteen minutes before your scheduled time. You are admitted in record time and sometimes ( like last week) you don't even have to wear a theatre gown. After the procedure, you get a nice coffee and biscuit and you get to drive yourself home. Simple? Sometimes.

On the agenda for this day was removal of a suspected lipoma ( fat tumour) in my right wrist and removal of a hard " something" on my scalp. I wanted them taken out quickly because I had an ear infection, was already feeling rotten and wanted to be back in my bed ASAP. Ear infections frequently torment me. The day before I had woken to throbbing ears, inflamed red knuckles and a red rash on my neck. A pharmacist later confirmed an allergy to the antibiotics being used to treat my ears. Not wanting to put myself through the rigmarole of an appointment with another GP, I thought I would suffer in silence for the next four days, till I could see my own GP.

So there I sat miserable as sin waiting to be called into theatre. 

" The nurses and I have decided that frequent fliers ( ie you) need to bring us cake from now on" said my plastic surgeon as I entered theatre. 
"Not a problem" I said. "one dozen Westcoast Eagles cupcakes coming up". 
He laughed because I know he is an avid fan of an opposing team.




"What's growing on my head?" I asked.
" With you, who knows?", he replied.

And so it began with the local anaesthetic in my wrist which hurt a bit and the local anaesthetic in my scalp which hurt a lot. Maybe it hurt more because my ears were already in pain. Who knows? I held back the tears and grit my teeth, but man it hurt. What finished me off was the sound of the scissors cutting through my scalp. I lay there thoroughly miserable and fully aware that my doctor was currently cutting out a bit of my scalp and sewing it up. I felt no pain but I could hear everything and it wasn't fun.

"Next time I'll have a general thanks", I said. 
No reply.

The rest of the day I felt like I had been run over by a truck. I was dizzy ( probably from my ears) and in pain on my head. The wrist was fine. 

A couple of days later my husband and I returned to Geraldton. Head and wrist pain were all gone but what was with the dizzies coming and going? I could hardly stand without losing my balance and if I was standing and feeling fine, in a split second this could change. My husband found this out the hard way when we stopped for food and drink and he had to catch me before I toppled over at the counter. This had to be more than just ears.

My GP changed my antibiotics and sent me off to have a multitude of blood tests and an ultrasound on my adrenal gland area. The guy doing my ultrasound said that adrenals are rarely seen in adults. I'm not sure what I was supposed to say to that. I am in the hands of my doctor. " If she wants an ultrasound of my adrenals he can bloody well find them", I thought.

Pathology tests are in - lipoma in wrist and cyst on scalp.

Blood tests are in - all good except calcium very low. That can make you dizzy if it's low. BINGO.

Ultrasound results not in - sonographer last seen hunting for adrenal glands.
                       
Fun and games

Till next time...xxx






  


14 comments:

  1. amazed by your spirit..kuddos

    ReplyDelete
  2. No point having anything but, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your situation is not easy. I am glad you still have a sense of humor. Wishing you health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ekk what a night, you have amazing courage and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you had to go through all that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has a couple of the fatty tumors. he had them checked out and when they said that they wouldn't hurt him, he decided to just leave them alone. Your attitude is one to be admired!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lipoma are harmless. I only have them removed when large and unsightly or when in an area where they get knocked.

      Delete
  7. I like the way you write your posts - you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing with us at #JoyHopeLive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you cope so well with all of this - I'm off to have a couple of "spots" removed next week - I HATE local injections they sting like hell, so I imagine the one in your head was a shocker! Kudos to you and I hope the dizziness disappears! ~ Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way you write your posts - you're awesome!

    Govt Jobs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...