Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2016

COULD YOU HANDLE BEING ME?

Yesterday I came across the following meme: " You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions". It stopped me in my tracks because it sums up my life perfectly.

Yesterday was Rare Diseases Day, a day world wide to specifically advocate for thousands of rare diseases. Cowden's syndrome ( which both my daughter and I have) is a rare disease and affects 1 in 200 000.

My condition is a chronic condition. It requires vigilance, constant intervention and frequent testing. It means you become a slave to a diary of appointments and become quite used to having to change both work and social life to accommodate the diary and the doctors. In my situation it means a lot of travel, as I live 460km from the capital city where the best of medical attention is available.
On the road again

A rare disease puts you under the scrutiny of others and not always in a good way. At the moment a tradesman is working in my house. He asked me why I wasn't at work today. Everyone asks me that. How do you explain the difficulty in holding down a job with regular hours, when you are in and out of hospital? How do you explain the embarrassment of asking for time off " yet again"? How do you explain that your body is slowly failing you and that sometimes standing on your feet and socializing with others for a whole day, is a massive strain? Generally people who only have to worry about colds and the odd flu just don't get it!

What everyone also doesn't get is having to advocate for yourself and in my case for my daughter as well. I've written about this before. Doctors can't be expected to know about every rare disease going. Some are quite OK about saying that and seek out information from the patient, who is usually a great source of information. Others take offence if you claim to know something they don't and this often leads to conflict and the attitude that " if I don't know about it, it probably isn't important.Yes it is. It's about me.

Another aspect of having a rare disease that many don't get, is the closeness you feel to people with the same condition you have. In most cases you are unlikely to ever meet these people and yet they become so important to you. Why? Because they get it, and they get you, in a way that others never will. And they provide support in a way that others never will, because they know. I remember years ago having an ovarian cancer scare and someone hearing that I was in a situation, came out with " oh what now!".  Yes, it was said in a tone which implied that I could possibly be making stuff up to get time off work. No empathy and no sympathy and soul destroying when your world is caving in. You don't get that from another " rare" person.

There was a great article doing the rounds yesterday. It questioned people who think Rare Diseases Day doesn't apply to them. It says quite eloquently that if you are or might one day be a parent or grandparent, if you work in a school or health care and if you simply have friends, then the day IS relevant to you. In the states, 1 in 10 Americans has a rare disease.

So, please take an interest because you never know what's round the corner. Support people living with a rare disease by listening and educating yourself on their conditions. If you are able to, attend fundraisers as there is much need for research in all conditions. Above all, thank God for your own health and never take it for granted.

Till next time...xxx
" WE LOVE RARE"
ST






10 comments:

  1. This is such an important post to share, and I will share it! My mum had a rare condition and it almost killed her, so rare that they don't even have an official name, they have written medical journals about her. She survived and has recovered, but now has Parkinson's which is much more known. I am so sorry for what you have to go through. Thank you for sharing with Friday reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope I don't get too monotonous but this condition is a big part of my life and I write about it a lot.

      Delete
  2. I think rare diseases are really difficult because people don't get an instant picture in their head of what it is that you have wrong with you. They don't want to be too nosy and ask too many questions and it all becomes a bit of a conspiracy of silence. I'm glad you talk about it and advocate for yourself and your daughter because that is how change takes place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Leanne and that is a reason I started my blog, to answer the questions that were never asked directly to me

      Delete
  3. I think what happens is the not knowing about it part clouds people's judgement...Hence, all the more important to write and make noise about such things..Maybe, just maybe, the behaviour and outlook of people would change then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this incentive to continue my blog. You are so right.

      Delete
  4. Being a nurse, any disease is abhorrent to me, but when you are fighting a rare disease, it is even worse. Treatment is hard to find, and then there is the day to day dealing with it. I hope that you and your daughter find some days of sunshine and peace among the days of worry and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter certainly does. She is 22 and doesn't let the condition define her, Me...working on it

      Delete
  5. Brave post, there are so many diseases that alot of us just aren't aware of so it's so brave and important of those that suffer with them or know of them to share and raise awareness. Thanks for linking up to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...