Pages

Wednesday 5 August 2015

DIARY OF AN INSOMNIAC

SLEEP and I have a bad relationship, so much so that I am known to sometimes seek out pharmaceutical help, to stop insanity from lack of sleep, developing too early. With the life I lead , insanity IS going to develop, but I would like to prolong the inevitable for as long as I can.

For your enjoyment and understanding let me take you into a typical night in my life. This is last night,  a night with no pharmaceutical help. Read it and weep for me folks.

6pm - cooking dinner. Overwhelmed by wave of tiredness. Feeling quite light headed so dish out dinner and lie on couch to watch Home and Away on TV.

7.30pm - decide to head to bed as can hardly keep eyes open.

8pm - tucked into bed conversing with the world via iPad. Electric blanket is on and slowly drifting to sleep.

10 pm - husband comes to bed. Cuddled up to warm husband in warm bed and very sleepy.

10.05pm - phone text beeps x2. Ring tone belongs to daughter number 2. Instant panic that something is wrong. Text reads - " Mum, are you asleep?" I reply - " Who died? What did you kill? How much is it going to cost me? " As an afterthought I add " are you OK?". She replies " Very funny. It's OK. It can wait till morning." It obviously can't.

11pm - complete marathon texting session about study opportunities available for next year. Husband snoring. Last text is audio of Dad snoring for her enjoyment.

11.05pm - WHAT IS SHE GOING TO DO NEXT YEAR? Replay discussion in head and weigh up pros and cons as now wide awake. Elbow husband to stop snoring. Try to sleep but impossible with that racket.

12pm -  I do not need to pee. I do NOT need to pee.

12.10am - I need to pee.

12.15am - phone flashing on silent. Avoiding full glass of water, grab phone and glasses and dive under doona cover to read messages. Then check Facebook, Twitter, Google plus, emails and Instagram. May as well cos am wide awake!

2am - grab pillow and move to couch in lounge room. Get cosy as its freezing after the electric blanket.

2.05am - get up because light turns on outside. Instant fear of intruder. Rotating Hills Hoist ( washing line for all non Aussies) has triggered husband's new sensor light toy.

2.10am - start to replay every intruder story heard lately. Analyse every sound outside. Finally I  sleep.

3 am- I need to pee. Traipse back to bedroom narrowly missing vacuum cleaner I should have put away hours ago.

3.05am - wide awake. Body overcome by wind pains. Ouch, ouch and ouch. It seems my body doesn't like my home made quiche.

4am - still wide awake. Husband stirs and asks me how I slept. Resist crazy woman urge to strangle him.

4.30 am - husband gets up and heads to work for super early shift. I have the whole bed to myself and I still can't sleep.

5 am - get up to make warm drink. Come back to bed and knock over glass of water. Swear loudly.

5.30am - foul mood so start writing blog post. Neighbours go to work. Random thought - have  no idea what neighbour looks like. Should say hello in case of possible intruder.

6am - turn light off and finally go to sleep. Thank God I don't have a job to go to.

8am - WIDE AWAKE so get up and have breakfast. Totally and utterly wrecked.

8.30am - Back to bed.

12.00pm - GOOD MORNING! ....GOOD AFTERNOON?

My life is such fun.

Till next time...xxx

ST

10 comments:

  1. Yes do feel for you, I do understand your plight. I have always been a light sleeper and when woken then I am awake. Thanks for sharing #wednesdayswisdom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many factors involved in my lack of sleep. Can't beat them all.

      Delete
  2. I dear. The mobile phone has a lot to answer for. Why don't you get a divorce from the annoying device? Things can be discussed in the morning.
    I sleep well, but my husband doesn't. I put it down to different personalities. He worries about everything, whereas I forget it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually phone on silent but this time I forgot. I don't usually worry . I just don't sleep. Confused?

      Delete
  3. I'm a light sleeper so I can certainly feel your pain. Thanks for linking up with us at #WednesdaysWisdom and here's to a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely feel your pain.
    I have definitely learned that using any sort of electronics in bed hinders my sleep. I like to play Candy Crush before I go to sleep, but the bright light (even if I dim it) will often keep me from snoozing.
    But I have always struggled with sleep, even when I was a child, so I definitely get it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzi, I definitely relate to this. I am also one who does not have a good relationship with sleep. I envy (hate?) my husband as he can come to bed and be snoring in about 5 minutes while I toss and turn for 45 minutes and am still wide awake. I usually also have to seek out pharmaceutical help to get to sleep and stay asleep, however, then the next day I am groggy and dragging...oh, what a life. I did have to laugh when you mentioned wanting to strangle your husband...I KNOW THE FEELING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. That sounds awful. I honestly can't sleep without some pharmaceutical help myself. I've never slept through the night, but after pregnancy, it got much worse. Now, I have to take Melatonine, and a prescription too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aah bless you — I'm awful with no sleep. I'm better at it since I had the twins but only marginally — world look out when I haven't had a good 7 or 8 hours! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday — please could you add our badge to your post? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...